Goin' to the Chapel!

/ Tuesday 6 April 2010 /
Goin' to the chapel and we're gonna get married. Goin' to the chapel and we're gonna get married. Gee, I really love you and we're gonna get married. Goin' to the chapel of love!
Goin' to the chapel
Yay, the big reveal!  My friend, Clare, is getting married near the end of this month.  This is the quilt I made for her.  I'm so excited to be able to blog about it at last!
Quilting detail
Clare and Nigel live in Northampton in the UK.  I was so nervous about sending this through the mail.  It would have cost the price of a small nation to send it with a tracking number, so I closed my eyes and crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.  It took less than two weeks to arrive!
Quilt for Clare
It was hard to pick what to make for Clare.  In my opinion, Clare wears too much black.  Actually, she is a recovering Goth, and it's a sign of her rehabilitation that she has extended herself to wearing navy!  As well, Clare is deeply superstitious about green.  She won't wear anything with green or have any green decor - green is unlucky.  I think this quilt is perfect for Clare - it has the navy that she loves along with the pinks and yellows I wish she would wear!  And nary a fleck o' green!
Quilting detail
I love this quilt - I wanted so badly to keep it for myself, but Lindsay wouldn't let me.  I used a pattern called French Garden by Heather Mulder Peterson.  I love the way the Anna Maria Horner blue background worked out.  This is the first time that I've made a quilt with a dark background and I like it A LOT.
Over the fence
 I used a King Tut thread variegated in blues for the quilting.
Quilting
The back is a Jennifer Paganelli print.
Quilt back - Jennifer Paganelli
And how about my label?  I made it in Word and printed it on one of those Printed Treasures sheets.
For Clare and Nigel
I called this quilt "Goin' to the Chapel", from the old Dixie Cups song.  Don't you just love it?  Have a listen:

27 comments:

Anonymous on: 6 April 2010 at 07:03 said...

Im Clare and I LOVE IT!!! The pictures actually don't do it justice. The backing fabric is beautiful, but the colours on the patchwork side work really well. The blues mean it looks right in our bedroom (which is all shades of blue) and the other colours in it mean that it works well in our spare room too. It couldnt have been better. Well, perhaps if there was more black in it... ;-)

{ Scarlett Burroughs } on: 6 April 2010 at 08:28 said...

Lesly,
I love your wedding quilt so much I linked to it here

http://quilting.craftgossip.com/ta-dah-goin-to-the-chapel-quilt-ready/2010/04/06/

Well done!
Warm regards,
Scarlett Burroughs
Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

{ Rene' } on: 6 April 2010 at 08:42 said...

Oh Lesly, this is beautiful!!!! I can tell by Clare's comment that she loves it as well!!! What an awesome wedding gift. I love all the fabrics you chose. That variegated thread is perfect for this quilt as is your quilting!!! The Jen Pag fabric on the back is gorgeous! Great name too!

{ Lee D } on: 6 April 2010 at 10:25 said...

what an awesome quilt, lucky for the wedding couple. I love the colour choice and the pattern. Will have to look that one up. Was it easy?

{ Kristen } on: 6 April 2010 at 10:30 said...

This is wonderful. How lucky is the lucky couple? What a beautiful blue!

I think I'll have that song in my head all day! LOL

{ Dee } on: 6 April 2010 at 10:57 said...

Once again, a beautiful, beautiful quilt! Thank you for the story behind it too! I love love stories!

Congratulations on such a fabulously awesome finish!

{ Claudia } on: 6 April 2010 at 18:24 said...

Ooooh, it's gorgeous! I like how you combined repro and modern fabrics. How wonderful to see your gift appreciated so much too.

{ Metanoia } on: 7 April 2010 at 06:30 said...

I wear black all the time and I love the nice dark colouring in this so I think you picked the right mix of colours. Perhaps I will have to look into navy's for backgrounds and stop using so much black in my quilts...

{ My Life In Stitch } on: 7 April 2010 at 07:36 said...

Lucky Clare and well down Lesly. That is a really special quilt.

{ Thelma } on: 7 April 2010 at 18:08 said...

Wow, very nice. I never would have put those colors together but they look wonderful.

Another great finish!

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 9 April 2010 at 00:03 said...

That quilt is just outstanding!

{ Leslie } on: 9 April 2010 at 08:37 said...

this quilt is beautiful. what a wonderful way to celebrate your friend.

{ Jocelyn } on: 9 April 2010 at 09:15 said...

Lesly, I love, love, love this quilt! Beautifully done!

{ Nicole } on: 9 April 2010 at 10:55 said...

Wow! What an incredible gift! Love the dark background (I've never tried that either).

Also, thanks for the heads up that green is unlucky. Who knew?! :)

{ Michelle } on: 9 April 2010 at 12:24 said...

Your friend Clare is a lucky gal! That is a lovely quilt. Terrific pattern, and your quilting is gorgeous. I keep studying your colors because they are totally different my "standards", but totally awesome! I'm going to remember this combination.

{ Sarah } on: 9 April 2010 at 14:35 said...

Wow! The backing fabric is almost as stunning at the top. (hopping over from the swap)

{ Nina Lise@Mrs Moen } on: 9 April 2010 at 15:18 said...

I love the quilt, especially how the squares in the sashings connects the blocks and make a new pattern.

{ Unknown } on: 9 April 2010 at 20:14 said...

Beautiful quilt! i love how the blocks look like they are floating on the background! Your quilting is lovely, too. A very lucky friend!

{ Kimberly Tripp } on: 9 April 2010 at 21:13 said...

love it! what a great gift. I'm glad that the bride obviously loves it too :) that is such a pretty blue color. love that you used variegated thread to quilt it. I'm afraid to use anything other than translucent because I don't want to mess up the patchwork. I need a class on choosing thread!!

{ jlk } on: 9 April 2010 at 22:58 said...

What a great friend you are! It is so pretty.

{ Karen } on: 10 April 2010 at 00:02 said...

That sure is a beautiful quilt. What a wonderful gift that will be.

{ pinksuedeshoe } on: 10 April 2010 at 00:38 said...

Pretty Pretty, Love the blues and pinks and yellow together, and so glad Clare loves it too!

{ amylouwhosews } on: 10 April 2010 at 10:43 said...

this really is beautiful! It would be out of my comfort zone to do something with a dark background, but I always love seeing it when other people do it! Does that make ANY sense at all?

Great job! Glad she loves it too!

{ Allyson } on: 10 April 2010 at 13:59 said...

Lesly, it's beautiful! That blue background fabric is so pretty, and I love all the soft sherbet colors in the blocks.

Mailing quilts is so scary, isn't it? Crossing your fingers did the trick. So glad to hear it made it to the UK safely.

{ Rebecca } on: 10 April 2010 at 17:17 said...

Beautiful quilt and I LOVE that label - I gotta sit down one day and figure out how to do that with my printer!

{ ktquilts } on: 10 April 2010 at 21:03 said...

Wonderful quilt!!! Great gift!!! Gorgeous colors.
Blessings,

KT

Anonymous on: 11 April 2010 at 21:13 said...

Lesly,

What a thoughtful gift. I like how you came up with the colors for the quilt... :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger