I Dream of Ogeenie

/ Monday 7 March 2011 /
DSC_0172
This weekend I finished my version of Curlicue Crush.  As I mentioned in the last post about this quilt, I kind of geeked out on the fact that the shape is an ogee, a word beloved by crossword puzzlers everywhere.  My husband said it reminded him of the Arabian Nights, of Aladdin's lamp.  And so, the name of this quilt is the mercilessly punny "I Dream of Ogeenie".  (Cue groans here.)
DSC_0157
Since we have had a longstanding tradition of doing the Toronto Star crossword puzzle in the lab, Lindsay suggested (bullied) that this should be the lab quilt.  I have been promising to make a quilt for the lab for months, but it always gets pushed to the back burner.  The one time I actually made a lab quilt, it was given to someone else.
DSC_0154
So now Lindsay can have her nap in the lab.  Power naps are important for the thinking of great thoughts!  And maybe it will help us do the crossword puzzle in under five minutes - our so-far unattainable goal.
DSC_0148
The quilt is 48" x 55".  I used a bamboo batt and King tut variegated thread in purple and pink.  I did my standard loopy loop quilting on it.  Geez, I'm getting tired of it, but I haven't gotten my courage up to branch out into free motion leaves, flowers or feathers.  That is definitely on my 2011 to-do list.
DSC_0135
DSC_0136
DSC_0139
I agonized for a long time about what thread to use, since the back was mainly this cream/orange Amy Butler print.  I didn't really want the quilting to stand out on the back.
DSC_0163
I played around with an orange/pink/yellow variegated thread, but in the end I chose the darker colour.  I'm not too bummed out about how it looks on the back, especially from a distance!
DSC_0166
I ran out of the Amy Butler print and had to piece in this Prints Charming section.  I love the two of them together, though.

DSC_0175

I am seeing this pattern all over the place recently.  Fat Quarterly was giving it away with new subscriptions for awhile, and Lynne is hosting a giveaway with this pattern right now.  You can always get it from the designer, Rebecca. as well.

Edited to add:  Thanks to KT's comment below, I had to add this video showing the I Dream of Jeannie intro!  Ha ha ha!




16 comments:

{ Georgia } on: 7 March 2011 at 11:54 said...

Gorgeous!

{ ktquilts } on: 7 March 2011 at 12:10 said...

Brilliant name!!! I love what my grandma called groaners. The name of this quilt qualifies. Just love the quilt. Da da, da da da da da. Da da, da da da da da.......

Blessings,
Kt

{ Jennifer } on: 7 March 2011 at 12:46 said...

I love it! Very nice quilting!

Jennifer :)

{ JanetK } on: 7 March 2011 at 12:56 said...

I LOVE a good pun! Groans are half the fun. (hey that rhymes...)

Great quilt - this is the first time I've been tempted to get the pattern and make one!

{ Dee } on: 7 March 2011 at 13:25 said...

This is so much fun! Must be an Arabian bug going round since I just finished Persian Garden!

Beautiful, vibrant quilt!

{ Taryn } on: 7 March 2011 at 14:57 said...

Don't diss the loopy quilting. It looks great on your quilt and it is a never can go wrong choice for busy quilts. It's machine quilting that gives the quilt that crinkly look I love.

{ Ann Champion } on: 7 March 2011 at 16:50 said...

I just love your quilt! What pretty fabrics you've chosen.

Do you do the crossword puzzle in ink? ;)

{ elle } on: 7 March 2011 at 18:19 said...

I remember the show and I also remeber my Dad singing about Jeannie with the light brown hair! lol Great job and I'd be kinda stumped for a better/different quilt pattern.

TERESA on: 7 March 2011 at 21:58 said...

love the quilt. didnt even notice your "mistakes" until you pointed them out. i have this pattern and just started cutting it out today. i am nervous to do the curves but anxious to put it together. :}

{ Sarah Craig } on: 7 March 2011 at 22:30 said...

It's beautiful, Lesly! I'm dying to try this pattern!!

{ Bec } on: 8 March 2011 at 05:26 said...

Oh i love it!!! and i rolled around laughing about the name!! Your hillarious... hubbies are good for something!! haha... xxx I would like to offer you a few Curlicue patterns for you for a giveaway for readers... if you were interested...?? Let me know xx i LOVE it!!! and LOVE the quilting tooo xx

{ felicity } on: 8 March 2011 at 12:11 said...

I SO disagree that puns are the lowest form of humour. I think they're very clever! And this quilt is gorgeous. GORGEOUS!

{ Andrea } on: 9 March 2011 at 14:34 said...

Hermoso edredon , muy buena combinacion de colores, felicitaciones.!!! Me encanta su blog, lo sigo con regularidad. Sus fotos son espectaculares.
me llamo andrea de Argentina, lo siento no escribo bien en ingles

{ pamela } on: 10 March 2011 at 16:50 said...

Love it and the name that you husband gave it!!!
Pamela.Adams62@gmail.com

{ Rene' } on: 17 March 2011 at 10:56 said...

Just fabulous!!!! I spot some of my favorite Hope Valley fabric in there.

{ Diane } on: 24 July 2011 at 18:33 said...

This is such a lovely quilt!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger