Done Like Dinner!

/ Friday 16 October 2009 /
Thanksgiving was this past weekend, and one of the things I was thankful for was time to wrap up the Blue Meanies quilt (the name is explained here).  I've been keeping it for today, Sew-n-Tell Friday.

Blue Meanies on the line

Overall, I was happy with the quilting that I ended up doing.  It was all right angles, rather than the curly quilting I normally do.  And it is very densely quilted - I used up one 500m spool of thread and about half of another one - King Tut cotton in "Baby Blanket", which is variegated blue, yellow and purple, which sounds a bit severe, but actually looks pretty good.

Blue Meanies

As you see, I decided to skip the border and go straight to the binding.  One reason for this was I got it into my head that the blocks in this one made it look too similar to I'll Be Seeing You, and I ditched the notion of borders to make them more distinct.  Now that it's finished, I see how different it is, but I am still totally satisfied with the sans-border decision.

Clothespins

At the last Sew-n-Tell post, when I asked if I should have a border, one of the comments was that I should think about a red border.  That really twigged for me, so I chose this red/orange/purple/blue Kaffe Fassett for the binding.  I absolutely love it!  My daughter was horrified when I showed her what I was planning to use.  "Trust me," I said; fortunately, she was sold when it all came together - now she denies she ever disliked it!


I found it very hard to select fabric for the back.  I had never envisioned it as green, but green is what came out.  I like it 85%.  I had to pin the quilt to the clothesline sideways to keep it from dragging on the ground.  In consequence, this photo makes the pieced pinwheels look crooked, but they really aren't.

Tilt your head sideways
Two Blue Meanies

It's got bamboo/cotton batting.  What a fantastic drape that has!

Both sides now
Scrumbled

14 comments:

{ Leslie } on: 16 October 2009 at 10:16 said...

i love it!!! the back is amazing! and the colors are so great.

{ Lauren } on: 16 October 2009 at 10:46 said...

WOW, your quilt is amazing. I love the colors, they remind me of my outfit today! I love that the back isn't just plain, but more exciting!

{ Dee } on: 16 October 2009 at 11:06 said...

Hee, hee it's awesome and since I'm pretty sure it was with the "Why not red?" suggestion, you know I like it even more! LOL The sans border was a great idea...like the pinwheels are spinning into infinity, which I know John, Paul, Ringo and George would agree! Fab! The back is just as groovy as the front. Thank you for showing us how it all "came together".

{ Day before Michelle } on: 16 October 2009 at 12:24 said...

Gorgeous! I love the colors..and the binding is just perfect!!

{ Claudia } on: 16 October 2009 at 13:20 said...

Cool binding, I'm glad you went with it. My daughter proably wouldn't approve either but I would find it hard to take the advice of a 9 year old who choses to wear plaids, stripes dots all in one ensemble. :) I've been using cotton/bamboo in all of my recent quilts and agree, it drapes nicely.

{ Rene' } on: 16 October 2009 at 14:07 said...

Really gorgeous quilt with beautiful quilting. i like the variegated threads by King Tut. I'll bet it looks fabulous up close. Happy Friday.

{ Nina Lise@Mrs Moen } on: 16 October 2009 at 16:24 said...

I love it! I had to look closely at the first picture to see how it was made as I don't think I have seen this design before. Fabulous colours!

I'm a bit curious, what's the story behind your alias?

{ Laura } on: 16 October 2009 at 17:46 said...

What an awesome quilt! I think you need to forage into bag territory and maybe I will try quilting. :) And your husband is WRONG--you can never have too many bags.

{ Sherri from Lavender Fields } on: 16 October 2009 at 18:32 said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Mine was last week too. Your quilt looks amazing I love the colours too.

{ Jocelyn } on: 17 October 2009 at 10:55 said...

I really love this quilt! Your back is a great use of fabrics. I've never used the bamboo batting, but have heard wonderful things about it.

{ Jennifer } on: 17 October 2009 at 11:59 said...

love this quilt. it's a perfect do-stuff-outside kind of quilt. can i have it? ha!

just wanted to de-lurk and let you know you're on my google reader.

{ Beth } on: 17 October 2009 at 18:37 said...

Oh I love this - it is wonderful and I think you made a great choice in just binding it and not adding any borders! I love that bamboo batting as well! Thanks for sharing! I didn't have time to sew this week - hopefully I'll have something to share next week though!

{ duckyhouse } on: 20 October 2009 at 10:34 said...

In your first picture the white hour glasses look like they are floating in mid-air. You did a fantastic job!

{ Krista Schneider } on: 30 March 2012 at 14:06 said...

Beautiful quilt!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger