Better late than never

/ Monday 22 August 2011 /
Completed!
I have come down to the wire on this quilt, but I am beyond thrilled to report that it is finished at last.  I was asked to make this quilt by a friend, whose only only child goes off to university this fall.  With just under one week before the recipient of this quilt scoots off to university, I have finally completed the ogee quilt version 2.

To recap the details for this one, it finishes at 48" x 60", and I made it using a Kona cottons FQ bundle in the Hot Spice colourway, using Rebecca Johnston's pattern available here.
Ogee v. 2.0 finished!
The batting is bamboo, my favourite, except for the way it leaves fuzzballs on the quilt after washing.  This time I used a dog hair removal device to whisk those fuzzballs off quickly and effectively.
Made with Kona cotton "Hot Spice" FQ bundle
I used a King Tut variegated thread for the quilting.
Ogee v. 2.0 detail
For the label, I used one of those Printed Treasures sheets and my ink jet printer to create a little message for the girl from her mother.  I also pieced in one of those Echino linen birds.  I didn't think of it at the time, but that little bird is the one that has flown, leaving behind the empty nest.
Label detail
And for the backing, I used a Kaffe Fasset print.  I can't believe I forgot to get a photo of the back!  But here is a shot of the label that shows the print around the edges.  I used the same print for the binding.
showing a bit of the backing fabric
The photos here were mostly taken in the sun, and the colours look really electrifying.  They are a bit more sober, but still rich, when they are in regular or shaded lighting.
Shade photo
I'm so happy to be able to hand this quilt off to my friend so that she can know her daughter will be warm and cozy with a quilt in her residence room. I told her I would take no commission but a donation to the Heart and Stroke Foundation would be gratefully accepted.  She surprised me with a $50 gift certificate to my LQS - that is also gratefully accepted!

Events of the spring really slowed me down on the quiltalong - and I did not provide very good leadership as a result.  But I made it in the end, and I do encourage all of you who have this quilt on your design boards to finish it up - you will be so happy you did - it is a stunning pattern and makes a glorious quilt!

25 comments:

{ Linz } on: 22 August 2011 at 11:03 said...

That is so pretty!

{ Joanna @ ShapeMoth } on: 22 August 2011 at 11:43 said...

Ah, I love this quilt. Red intensive colours and the piecing are just amazing.

{ Bree } on: 22 August 2011 at 11:44 said...

Yay for a finish!
Mine's still slowly coming together. I actually finished most of the piecing. I need to add borders, do my applique, and back it. Just got shoved aside. But it's on the WIP list!

{ Jennifer } on: 22 August 2011 at 14:19 said...

very pretty; this design is especially effective with solids. a queen sized quilt would look fantastic!

{ Jessica } on: 22 August 2011 at 15:11 said...

awesome! I love the quilting and the birdie label. congrats on the finish~

{ Jennifer } on: 22 August 2011 at 15:19 said...

My goodness, this is a stunning quilt! What a lucky girl to be heading to college with something so beautiful!

Jennifer :)

{ Dara } on: 22 August 2011 at 16:30 said...

Looks so great. We drove through Kingston yesterday and had to stop because the rain, thunder and lightening were CRAZY. I was thinking that it was a shame I didn't know your address, I could have popped in to say hi- then again I would have been a soaking wet- probably not what you want to greet you at the door!! Looks great.

{ elle } on: 22 August 2011 at 16:58 said...

Smashing! Very nicely done, Lesly. Luv the binding/backing for contrast.

{ Lee D } on: 22 August 2011 at 16:59 said...

wonderful job! the student will be so comforted. I just finished a rag quilt for a 1st yr student too.

{ Unknown } on: 22 August 2011 at 18:01 said...

Wow, I agree that the solids really work beautifully with this design! I love the lack of borders and the contrasty binding. Some great choices there Leslie!

{ ParisMaddy } on: 22 August 2011 at 18:50 said...

Great colours and movement.

{ MariQuilts } on: 22 August 2011 at 20:28 said...

So beautiful.

{ quiltmom anna } on: 22 August 2011 at 22:18 said...

This is a stunning quilt and you did a beautiful job of it. I am sure that the recipient will love it and feel her mother's love wrapped around her.
Its a very pretty pattern and you did a lovely job of the quilting.
Thanks for sharing such a heart warming story.
Regards,
Anna

{ Leanne } on: 22 August 2011 at 23:19 said...

I love your quilt, it looks so great all finished!

{ teaginny } on: 23 August 2011 at 10:43 said...

this quilt is amazing! just gorgeous!

{ Rachel } on: 24 August 2011 at 02:28 said...

This is beautiful! I've always been fascinated by ogee quilts - they look so difficult!

{ Andrea } on: 24 August 2011 at 22:12 said...

I love the stay, the colors are very cute for a adolescente.Yo almost the same design I like the colors.

{ beth } on: 24 August 2011 at 23:32 said...

what a BEAUTY!

{ Claudia } on: 25 August 2011 at 09:45 said...

I just love that super red hot color against the blue sky! What a HOT quilt!

{ Wendy } on: 28 August 2011 at 11:11 said...

What a beautiful quilt, so much skill must have gone into the making of this with the curved piecing and the exquisite quilting.

{ Gigi's Thimble } on: 30 August 2011 at 10:58 said...

Wow. That is amazing. Great job with the colors!!

{ Annabella } on: 31 August 2011 at 13:05 said...

I can`t tell you how much I love this quilt - so beautiful!

{ Ariane } on: 6 September 2011 at 12:59 said...

I just love this quilt!!! It is so beautiful!! I love the reds!!! You did an amazing job with it!!!

{ Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva } on: 12 September 2011 at 10:48 said...

That quilt is 'sew' lovely. I am in love with this pattern. Definitly adding it to my 'to-do' list, LOL!
~Kimberlee

{ Amy } on: 26 February 2013 at 22:03 said...

Gorgeous! I am thinking I would love to try one in blues.thank you for the inspiration.

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger