Love Birds

/ Sunday 8 August 2010 /
This one went down to the wire, friends! I stayed up very late to finish the quilting and sew the binding to the quilt sandwich.
Love Birds
 I watched many episodes of The Jewel in the Crown while I was doing the FMQ - I had forgotten what a good series that was! It was a pleasure to see it again. I couldn't finish off the binding - I was seeing double by the time it was sewn to the quilt top, and it was 3am before I found my bed. I forced myself out of bed at 7 to baste the binding and then sew it on. I don't know how people manage to machine-sew binding on when it is held in place with pins - my hat is off to them!
Love Birds
I would have hand-stitched the binding in place, since it was for a wedding present, but there was no time. As it was, I packed my overnight case while the quilt was in the wash, and took my shower while it was in the dryer. I whisked it outdoors for some quick photos while my husband was tapping his foot and looking pointedly at his watch.
 quilted linen birds
We raced down the 401 to Toronto and checked into the wedding hotel - which, as it happens, was the same hotel where we spent our wedding night, 24 years ago!
Love Birds, detail
Love Birds, centre panel 
I was very happy with the label for this quilt.  I printed it on one of those Printed Treasures sheets, and then pieced it into the back, with a piece of the linen showing the two lovebirds.  I've used these printing cotton sheets before, but this is the first time I've pieced in into the back.  I like it!
Love Birds back and label
quilt in a tree
The groom has been a friend of ours for many years. This was his second marriage, and his son and daughter were the only attendants. I had never met the bride, and I hoped she liked purple. While I felt fairly sure that Denys would like it, I had certainly been second guessing myself as I put this together - what on earth was I thinking, making such a hugely and utterly purple quilt for a woman I had never met! Purple isn't everyone's cup of tea - maybe she would be a purple-hater!  Imagine my relief to see that the underslip to her elegant lace gown was a beautiful soft purple!
Nina and Denys get married
Updated to add to the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

24 comments:

{ Ariane } on: 8 August 2010 at 16:13 said...

The quilt is gorgeous!!! What a great gift!! I'm sure she will love it!!

{ Sarah Craig } on: 8 August 2010 at 20:32 said...

That is a gorgeous quilt, fabulous finish, and the label is perfect! They are a lucky couple to get such a wonderful and unique gift!!

{ elle } on: 8 August 2010 at 21:05 said...

I really try not to do any more of those wee hours of the morning projects and dressing while the prezzie dries.8^) Great job.

{ Rene' } on: 8 August 2010 at 21:06 said...

Lesly, this is a truly beautiful quilt. I love all the pictures you took outside. It is nice seeing all the fabrics you chose. I love that you pieced the label into the backing....great idea. Your friends look so happy. I love the bride's wedding dress, and they had beautiful weather for the ceremony. Do you and your husband have plans for your 25th anniversary?

{ Chartreuse Moose } on: 8 August 2010 at 23:06 said...

What a perfect bit of genius, to pick the exact color favored by the bride! At least you weren't stitching the binding as you drove to the wedding...bet it's been done! ;-) Lovely quilt! Darling label!

{ Deborah } on: 9 August 2010 at 15:09 said...

This is gorgeous and I'm sure will be treasured.

{ Lindsay } on: 10 August 2010 at 13:22 said...

(Subtle hint for lab quilt...!)

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 10 August 2010 at 13:31 said...

Beautifully done, Lesly!

{ Laura } on: 13 August 2010 at 09:03 said...

I love it! The outer border is my favorite part!

{ Cecily } on: 13 August 2010 at 09:04 said...

That is a beautiful quilt! I love the colors and the birds and the quilting is just stunning. And the two panels on the back - genius.

{ Elizabeth } on: 13 August 2010 at 09:12 said...

You did such a beautiful job of this! I'm sure they will be pleased for such a generous and personalized gift.

Did you stitch in the ditch and then free-hand or did you just free-hand? I'm doing my first quilt and I'm a little confused about that.

Visiting you from Sew & Tell Fridays on Amy Lou Who.

{ Carla } on: 13 August 2010 at 09:22 said...

Few! I feel your pain and tiredness. But it was all so worth it. The quilt came out amazing!!! I'm sure she will love it too. I love weddings....

{ Leslie } on: 13 August 2010 at 09:40 said...

how perfectly purple!!! this is a beautiful quilt and a perfect wedding gift...i can sympathize with the late nights trying to get it all done in time

{ Leanne } on: 13 August 2010 at 10:16 said...

Lesly, you have outdone yourself - your quilt is absolutely fabulous. I am blown away.

PS - Saw Sarah Harmer in concert Tuesday - made me miss Kingston.

{ Diane } on: 13 August 2010 at 11:35 said...

What a beautiful quilt and lovely gift. Your friend will treaure it.

{ trish } on: 13 August 2010 at 11:38 said...

Beautifully done! And such a special gift!! :o)
Have a great weekend.
Sincerely ~ Trish

{ Pokey } on: 13 August 2010 at 19:28 said...

This is beautiful! I like the lovebirds on the back. The purple and white on the bottom seems like a pond in motion. I hope they love it, I do!!
:-}pokey

{ Catherine } on: 14 August 2010 at 02:02 said...

That quilt is just gorgeous and such a lovely special wedding gift!Love the birds on the back!

{ Karen } on: 14 August 2010 at 08:51 said...

Just gorgeous and such a wonderful gift you made. Love the birds.

{ Michelle } on: 14 August 2010 at 17:28 said...

What a unique and beautiful quilt. Such a wonderful wedding gift.

{ ktquilts } on: 14 August 2010 at 23:24 said...

To pretty for words!!!

{ Claudia } on: 28 August 2010 at 10:21 said...

What a beauty, Lesly! I made a wedding quilt for friends that came so late, they'd already had their first born child before the quilt was delivered.

{ Diane } on: 24 July 2011 at 18:34 said...

What a wonderful gift for the couple.

{ sarahp } on: 14 December 2011 at 05:00 said...

This is lovely...the colours work perfectly. Jealous!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger