The blocks are 7 1/2" when finished. I'm planning on using 72 blocks, which will make it a good size. I really like how this pinwheel tutorial showed the template taped to the bottom of the ruler. I hate using templates, because they are often so small and fiddly, especially homemade ones, and I'm afraid I'm going to rotary cut my fingers off. But this one was perfect; just lay the ruler over the rectangle with the template lined up on the corners and slash away! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Today after synagogue I got into my comfy drawers and pieced half the blocks. Since the fabric was folded before I cut it, selvedge to selvedge, like normal, it means half the pinwheels will spin one way and the remaining half will spin the other way (we'll say they're from Australia). The daughter wasn't too pleased with that idea, and reminded me she gets motion sickness. Sheesh!
Issues so far: my blocks are shockingly untrue. I am using my twenty year old rulers which predate the non-slip finish that the new ones have, and this must be causing me some grief when I cut the strips from the main piece of fabric. Although I don't recall such a problem back in the day when I was first quilting with them. Also, for the first time, I am not washing my fabric before cutting it. That's because I did wash the 6" strips for the Valley of the Dolls quilt and the resulting shredding from the cut edges of 20 pieces of fabric had to be seen to be believed. It took ages to pick each one apart from the rat's nest. Still it goes against the grain not to wash the fabric. I think you get a fine "crinkly goodness" anyway, since the batting is not washed pre-assembly. Anyway, I feel like not washing makes it hard for me to find the true grain of the fabric, although this is probably just another excuse for hasty work that leads to errors. Ah well, it will all come straight in the end. *fingers crossed*