As you know, I've been on a bit of a zipper pouch-making kick. I've tried several different styles, and have been please with all of them. They have each, however, bedeviled me on one assembly point or another, and I can see the imperfections glaring in each one. So I have been working on trying conquering the bits that have made me dissatisfied. I'm pretty happy with this last one I made.
This is the biggest one I've made yet. It started out 10.5" square. I used Moda cross-weave cotton on the exterior, with some various scraps for the patchwork around the bottom. Long-time readers may recognize this fabric as leftovers from Dunes. It has cotton batting on the inside and Dill Blossom cotton print for the lining, which you can just see in the photo below.
It stands up nicely - I gave it a relatively wide bottom to support it since it's so large for a zipper pouch. I think this is as big as you can make it unless you line it with something stiffer than batting. Any bigger and it would just flop over itself.
Lindsay said I should show something to give an idea of scale. So I stood this DVD case up behind the pouch.
And I'm especially pleased by the sharp corners. I found it very effective to use these tabs that cover the ends of the zipper and keep the raw edges of the zipper out of the seam allowance. That, and cutting the batting one inch smaller than the exterior fabric (I used a 1/2" seam allowance) are the two factors that I feel were most effective in getting the final product the way I wanted it. I also used a piece of ribbon for a zipper pull. Ugh, I can see a few loose threads I forgot to trim in this picture. It's always something!
I'm happy. And now I think I'm going to rest on my pouch-making laurels for awhile. I have some other quilting that must get done!