This is an ogee

/ Sunday 13 February 2011 /

Edited to link to Cheryl's Workshop in Progress, to show how my initial request for help with fabric selection evolved to a semi-final product.

As I was making this quilt top I kept thinking I knew what this shape was called.  The pattern is called Curlicue Crush, but I know this shape has a specific name, and curlicue is not it.  I kept thinking the name of the shape is associated with crossword puzzles, and so it is: ogee, an architectural term, is one of those words that they like because it has so many vowels in it.  So this shape is an ogee, which can be pronounced with the stress on the first syllable OH-gee, or on the second syllable, oh-GEE.

I finished piecing this quilt top this morning.  All things considered, this was a very speedy top to put together.  The most tedious part was marking and cutting with the templates.  Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, and I was so disappointed that today did not follow suit.  It's hard to capture the cheery colours of this quilt on such a gray day.

But as you can see, the sunlight wasn't the only challenge to getting photos of this flimsy.




DSC_0130
Putting this quilt together gave me a good long time to think about directional prints, and really enlightened me as to the tiny things that I would normally overlook when I make a decision whether I think something is directional or not.  More on that later, but you can see what I mean, I'm sure.
DSC_0127
And remember in my last post I was talking about how the fabric was short.  There are several places where I had to patch small pieces together to cut the larger required piece, but I won't show you those because they are boring, and mostly not noticeable at all.  However, here are the two places where I had to supplement with non-matching fabric.  In the first one, only 1/4" will show after the binding is on.  I might embroider my name or the date on that strip, so I am actually kind of excited at how that become a design feature instead of a flaw.
Poverty piece 1
In this second one, the entire segment which is now primarily made from the AMH red print was supposed to feature that lollipop-looking fabric down at the bottom tip, and all the pieces were cut from that FQ.  But the matching tip on the top of the segment, when I came to assemble it, was so frayed along the edge that I couldn't sew a secure seam (recall that I could not true up the fabric for initial cutting).  I had already sewn the bottom tip, so scratching that one and replace the whole thing with the AMH red would have compromised the orange segment at the bottom, since it was already sewn up.  I'm sure this is too hard to follow.  The bottom line is that I replaced everything that I could with the AMH fabric, and left this one tip intact.
Poverty piece 2
However, over all, I don't think anyone will notice, and I don't think I'm likely to fret over these small imperfections.  The quilt is 48" x 60" so quite small.  I think it will easy to quilt up - and now I have to stop piecing and start quilting.  I have quite a queue!
DSC_0130

28 comments:

{ Molly } on: 13 February 2011 at 11:29 said...

It's fantastic and I love the pics of it blowing in the wind. Looks chilly there!

{ Debbie } on: 13 February 2011 at 11:43 said...

its beautiful!
I love when a quilt comes together :)

I had issues lately with some LQS cut strips. they had the v in them! I try so hard not to do it myself but was hoping they would have caught it... oh well

{ Gretchen } on: 13 February 2011 at 12:26 said...

It looks great, and even after you point all those imperfections out, I really can't find them....
Fabulous job!

{ Tamera } on: 13 February 2011 at 12:38 said...

How beautiful!

{ Kathleen } on: 13 February 2011 at 13:24 said...

just saw it in my flickr group and i ADORE it! even more so now that i read about the making of the quilt.

{ Jennifer } on: 13 February 2011 at 14:55 said...

the colors look great!

good job; this sounds like it took a lot of patience.

{ Quilter Kathy } on: 13 February 2011 at 16:27 said...

Such great photos of your quilt in the middle of winter!

{ Glenda } on: 13 February 2011 at 17:11 said...

Your quilt is especially stunning photographed on a gray day against the wonderful many gray shades of city dwelling. The colors are so much more deliciously cool looking. And I love the mistakes. So good for the psychie. Keeps things in perspective so to speak. Creativity, is undimmed by error. In fact, solving the problems that you may refer to as errors, is actually a wonderful example of creativity itself. Thanks for the fresh breath of inspriration.

{ free indeed } on: 13 February 2011 at 19:55 said...

I've seen this pattern before and really like it,but couldn't figure out how to make it...your pictures make it all so clear now THanks! I do love that ogee shape! Thanks for that bit of relavent info as well :)

{ Claudia } on: 13 February 2011 at 20:13 said...

Looks great Lesly. I can't imagine any of these "flaws" will be at all noticeable once you get it quilted up.

{ Pokey } on: 13 February 2011 at 20:18 said...

It is great! I do like your that your "flaw" can become a fashion statement!
Neat pics, too, Lesly
:-}pokey

{ Lindsay } on: 13 February 2011 at 20:46 said...

In honour of "ogee," that should TOTALLY be the lab quilt. It's a SIGN!

{ Sarah Craig } on: 13 February 2011 at 21:07 said...

That quilt is beautiful, Lesly! You did a great job with all those curved seams!! It's pretty agains the snow, too!

{ Unknown } on: 13 February 2011 at 21:48 said...

Oh gee, ain't it pretty! And actually I never noticed those little pieces you had to add in, and had to really search for them in the whole quilt pics. they blend right in! Also your colours are stunning! I personally think grey days are better for reproducing the "real" colour of a quilt. But that's just me... So lovely, Leslie! Happy Valentine's Day, btw!

{ Lee D } on: 13 February 2011 at 21:49 said...

the quilt is stunning Lesly. I wouldn't worry about those small things. As I told a new quilter if it was absolutely perfect then it would have come out of a factory and not made with love and attention.

{ elle } on: 14 February 2011 at 09:05 said...

Ogee! You've done a great job, Lesly. It can be a machine quilting shape and struck me as an odd name. But a good design shape and your colours are wonderful.

{ Jennifer } on: 14 February 2011 at 11:18 said...

I love it!! Hurry and quilt it... I can't wait to see it finished!

Jennifer :)

Anonymous on: 16 February 2011 at 01:26 said...

Love this quilt colors - beautifully done!

{ Rachel } on: 16 February 2011 at 08:42 said...

Wow - this is amazing! Beautiful! Loved your photo "outages" too. Haha

{ Rachel } on: 16 February 2011 at 08:43 said...

Glenda (who commented on Feb 13) - I wish there was a LIKE button for your comment!

{ Allison } on: 16 February 2011 at 21:00 said...

What a great idea to embroider your name on that 1/4" strip of purple :)

{ Unknown } on: 17 February 2011 at 14:08 said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see it quilted.

{ Bec } on: 18 February 2011 at 09:06 said...

Ahhhhh i LOVE IT!!! I cant believe you havent sent me a picture of your finished QUilt top... or sent me the link to your blog!!! Im so excited....Its Gorgeous!!!! Can i show it on my blog when your finished??? xx Im Bec from Chasing Cottons... if your wondering what this mad woman is obsessing over!! xx Love it Love It!! xx

{ Leila } on: 18 February 2011 at 17:25 said...

Love it!

{ Unknown } on: 20 February 2011 at 10:18 said...

very lovely. Curves still really scare me! Just found your blog today and am now following!

{ Cheryl Arkison } on: 22 February 2011 at 10:12 said...

Don't think of them as imperfections, they are design features! I really like this.

{ Sylbie } on: 4 March 2011 at 03:04 said...

I love what you make with fabrics and this one is great !! hugs

Anonymous on: 18 March 2012 at 14:23 said...

Please put me on your email list....love your curves...great job!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger