by Lesly / Sunday, 13 February 2011 /
Edited to link to Cheryl's Workshop in Progress, to show how my initial request for help with fabric selection evolved to a semi-final product.
As I was making this quilt top I kept thinking I knew what this shape was called. The pattern is called Curlicue Crush, but I know this shape has a specific name, and curlicue is not it. I kept thinking the name of the shape is associated with crossword puzzles, and so it is: ogee, an architectural term, is one of those words that they like because it has so many vowels in it. So this shape is an ogee, which can be pronounced with the stress on the first syllable OH-gee, or on the second syllable, oh-GEE.
I finished piecing this quilt top this morning. All things considered, this was a very speedy top to put together. The most tedious part was marking and cutting with the templates. Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, and I was so disappointed that today did not follow suit. It's hard to capture the cheery colours of this quilt on such a gray day.
But as you can see, the sunlight wasn't the only challenge to getting photos of this flimsy.
Putting this quilt together gave me a good long time to think about directional prints, and really enlightened me as to the tiny things that I would normally overlook when I make a decision whether I think something is directional or not. More on that later, but you can see what I mean, I'm sure.
And remember in my last post I was talking about how the fabric was short. There are several places where I had to patch small pieces together to cut the larger required piece, but I won't show you those because they are boring, and mostly not noticeable at all. However, here are the two places where I had to supplement with non-matching fabric. In the first one, only 1/4" will show after the binding is on. I might embroider my name or the date on that strip, so I am actually kind of excited at how that become a design feature instead of a flaw.
In this second one, the entire segment which is now primarily made from the AMH red print was supposed to feature that lollipop-looking fabric down at the bottom tip, and all the pieces were cut from that FQ. But the matching tip on the top of the segment, when I came to assemble it, was so frayed along the edge that I couldn't sew a secure seam (recall that I could not true up the fabric for initial cutting). I had already sewn the bottom tip, so scratching that one and replace the whole thing with the AMH red would have compromised the orange segment at the bottom, since it was already sewn up. I'm sure this is too hard to follow. The bottom line is that I replaced everything that I could with the AMH fabric, and left this one tip intact.
However, over all, I don't think anyone will notice, and I don't think I'm likely to fret over these small imperfections. The quilt is 48" x 60" so quite small. I think it will easy to quilt up - and now I have to stop piecing and start quilting. I have quite a queue!