Kiwi visitors and winners announced

/ Sunday 7 November 2010 /
Apples and pears
I know these are apples and pears, not kiwis, but I refer to my brother, Reed, and his wife, Jan, who came for an all too short visit this week.  They immigrated from Tennessee to New Zealand four years ago.  I saw my brother last at my mother's funeral in 2008, so I was very happy to be able to spend a few days in his company laughing and feeling happy.  The weather was cold and damp, so we didn't do much running around, beyond an obligatory trip to the Lake to look across at the wind turbines on Wolfe Island.
Lake Ontario
We ate at the new burger place, which was very good.  So good I forgot to take a picture until it was all eaten up.
Remains
Condiments
My brother ordered a beer float - pumpkin ale with vanilla ice cream.  He wasn't thrilled, but was glad he tried it.  The rest of us noshed on a s'mores cheesecake with homemade marshmallows.  My husband is giving the thumbs up in this picture, and quite right!  It was delicious!
Thumbs up to dessert!
We stopped at my favourite jewelry store so I could show my sister in law the loot.  I didn't buy anything, but I drooled awhile.
Time to drool
They have a little dog in that store with the unlikely name of Poulet.  He likes to sit in the window and here he is, people-watching.
Poulet in the window of my favourite store
We had a lovely time, although not long enough.  New Zealand is so far away.  I don't enjoy flying one little bit, but I will have to go to a conference in Hong Kong in 2013, so I expect I will take a detour to NZ on that trip.  That gives me plenty of time to lay in a store of tranquilizers for the flight!

Anyway, because I was hanging out with Reed and Jan, I was dilatory in posting the winners of my giveaway, which closed on Friday.  There were 112 comments - wow!  And so many lovely, lovely comments about my quilts.  I found it interesting that each of my quilts was picked by at least one person as their favourite, even the very oldest ones, but the most popular seemed to be Wine Gums.   I wish I could send everyone who left a comment a prize!  Alas, it isn't possible, so without further ado, the winners are:
For the Oh Cherry Oh charm packs, Gigiquilts.
For the Kona solids, Jo Chu
For the pincushion, Brenda,g34
For the Quilt Patis templates, Laura
Congratulations, ladies!  I will be sending you an email asking for your mailing address in the next 24 hours.  

10 comments:

{ elle } on: 7 November 2010 at 21:00 said...

yay for Winegums! and the winners ;)

Anonymous on: 7 November 2010 at 21:40 said...

Congrats to the winners!

{ Thelma } on: 8 November 2010 at 05:28 said...

The s'mores cheesecake looked like it was worth the trip alone! Your brother may live far away, but it sounds like you enjoy your time together when you get it. I'm with you on the flying!

A wonderful giveaway, Congratulations to the winners!

{ Dee } on: 8 November 2010 at 08:35 said...

congratulations to all the winners!

it looks like you had an awesome visit with your brother and his wife, and I'm so glad you had that time together.

blessings today!

{ Deb } on: 8 November 2010 at 15:07 said...

Yes, NZ is so far away!!!! I live in NZ and I drool over the US blogs and websites and wish I was a little closer to be able to visit some of these amazing stores. Where in NZ do they live?

S'mores cheesecake...mmmmm

{ Stray Stitches (Linda G) } on: 8 November 2010 at 16:11 said...

Sounds like you had a wonderfully good time. Oh, and congratulations to all of the winners!

{ Reed } on: 11 November 2010 at 00:12 said...

Deb: we're in Wellington -- still on our North America visit friends and family tour but looking forward very much to getting home soon now.

by the way -- that beer float was pretty stink, I'd be willing to try it again but with a different beer and some serious (NZ) ice cream. My darling sister has always used me as a human test subject.

{ Reed } on: 11 November 2010 at 00:18 said...

oh, and the "My brother ordered..." should read "I demanded my brother order..."

{ Deb } on: 11 November 2010 at 04:32 said...

Oh yes there's nothing like NZ ice cream!! All that good butterfat in it!! Enjoy the rest of your trip. The weather has been fabulous back home so hopefully you will ease back into summer nicely when you return, Reed!!

{ GigiQuilts } on: 13 November 2010 at 01:33 said...

Did you get my email with my address? I wasn't sure that I had your correct email. Let me know if I need to send it again. I sure love reading your blog.
GigiQuilts - Jodi

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger