It's Friday and I'm Finished!

/ Friday 2 October 2009 /
I'm finished just in time for Friday Sew-N-Tell!  That is to say, I've finished one step in the long cloth-to-quilt process.  The Whirligigs quilt top is pieced, and in the process named itself after the villains in the Beatles' Yellow Submarine movie.  Introducing the Blue Meanies!  See the resemblance?

Blue Meanies quilt top
I think it's interesting how the immediate dramatic element is those light hourglasses, rather than the pinwheels. It's one of the exciting parts of quilting - seeing what unexpected effects emerge from the block pattern and initial design. Now, I have to tell you that my points are not perfect, but I plead guilty with an explanation. You may notice that half the pinwheels spin one way and the others go the other way (see lame joke about Australia in a previous post). I pieced all the thisaway blocks a couple of weeks ago, with my regular, devil-may-care seam allowance. Then last weekend, I attended the Square in a Square workshop, with her military insistence on scant quarter-inch seam allowances (and they do look nice, so no complaints). But when I came back to sew up all the thataway blocks, even though I reminded myself to ease up on the seam allowance to match the other ones, I found that the second set of blocks measured, in some cases, a full half-inch bigger than the first set. I was as careful as I could be through the trimming and truing process to size the blocks so that the seams would match up, but it wasn't perfect. Drat. Consider this entire quilt one whole humility block!



Blue MeaniesTrying to decide if I want a border or not. What do you think?

10 comments:

{ Dee } on: 2 October 2009 at 10:15 said...

Thoroughly love the wonkiness of the quilt...it's perfect the way it is. Would you consider a bright red (see front Whirligig's arm) for the border? I finished a mini quilt named "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" for my Sew and Tell Friday...weird huh? You'll have to take a look. Thanks for sharing the quilt, it's beautiful and visually stunning!

{ Leslie } on: 2 October 2009 at 10:28 said...

i love the name for your quilt...the white hourglasses really stand out. i think a border would look really nice...maybe in one of your blues.

{ Lauren } on: 2 October 2009 at 10:46 said...

the quilt is beautiful. i love all of the colors. and don't worry about it being a bit "wonky" that's how people know that it isn't store bought, at least that is always my excuse!

{ Ann Champion } on: 2 October 2009 at 11:17 said...

I think this is a fun quilt! It's funny that I saw it as pinwheels, then when you mentioned hour glasses I looked again and they jumped out at me. :)
There are two kinds of quilts IMO. There are formal.."every point must match quilts"..and there are fun, casual, more relaxed quilts. It's OK if the points don't match perfectly in a fun quilt..it's part of what makes them fun!
If it were me..I'd add a border. ;)

{ She sews and scraps } on: 2 October 2009 at 12:39 said...

What a great quilt! I love it! I like borders but either way done this quilt will be great!

{ Jocelyn } on: 2 October 2009 at 17:55 said...

Wow love the colors in your quilt! I personally love a little border, but it would probably be fine with just a binding. This is my first time joining Sew and Tell Friday. Sounds like fun!

{ Rene' } on: 2 October 2009 at 21:23 said...

I love your quilt and think the points are just fine. The blues are beautiful with the white.

{ Jodi Nelson } on: 3 October 2009 at 01:00 said...

Love the quilt! And I have to tell you that I noticed the blue and pinwheels first! So striking. Then I read your post and looked at the photo again. And all I could see were the white hourglasses! No matter how many times I looked back at the photo, In only saw the hour glasses. So cool. ;o) Simply fantastic quilt! And wonderful name.

{ amylouwhosews } on: 3 October 2009 at 10:03 said...

that is a LOT of half-square triangles! I love it! I've been learning how to use my new 1/4" in presser foot and it's a little tricky! I've been having some of the same problems!

If you do a border I would do white.

Thanks for sharing!

{ adena } on: 16 October 2009 at 12:05 said...

I agree with Dee that a bright cherry red would look yummy! or at least a pop of it as a bindng? But yes, add a border! You know, equilter.com has Beatles fabrics.... love the name of your quilt.

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger