Since I ran out of background fabric on the Southern Skies quilt I posted about last time, I've been working on this one, Prairie Claw. This was the second pattern from the Square in a Square workshop I went to at the end of September. The colours are certainly appropriate for the season!
Here is a photo of the classic square in a square piece that serves as the foundation for so many of the blocks. In this block, it makes the points of the stars.
The blocks take FOREVER to assemble! There are 25 pieces in each block, and that does not include the piecing that goes into making the squares in squares shown above. The blocks are also huge - they are 12" square. The dimensions for the quilt on the pattern as written are about 85" x 100". I like it, but not that much! I think I'm going to reduce it by about 25%.
The pieced blocks are offset by unpieced solid blocks. I am afraid of these because they need some fancy, structured quilting in each one. I am trying to decide if I can do it myself or if I should send it out to the long-armer. I've always done my own quilting, but it's never really been more than ditch-stitching or various all-over quilting, never following a real pattern. Never mind, at the rate these blocks get assembled I won't have to make that decision for a long time. Me and Scarlett O'Hara: I'll think about that tomorrow; after all, tomorrow is another day!