by Lesly / Monday, 6 December 2010 /
This is a shameful photograph. It displays my bee blocks in arrears. But this weekend was a sewing weekend for me, and I managed to catch up almost entirely on those blocks.
For the Incredible Shrinking Bee, I finished Claudia's Ohio Star,
and Madeline's Dove in the Window.
For the Maple Leaf Bee, Austen gave us quilter's choice and some Hope Valley fabric. Her fabric was strips about 4 3/4" x 20" wide, so it made it surprisingly difficult to find a 12" block that could be accommodated; you couldn't use a 6" patch or even make a 4.5" HST. But I found this Jacob's Ladder block that fit the bill, even though I had to supplement with extra white fabric.
I also made Ariane's Dresden Plate.
It was the first time I'd made one of these. I used the zigzag stitch on my machine to sew down the centre circle, but I wasn't 100% happy with the way it looked. So I took a chance and used the blanket stitch setting on my machine to sew down the petals, with much better success.
And for the Modern Tradition Bee, I made these two churn dash blocks, from a dark grey and Hope Valley. I like this colour combination a lot - and from the blocks the others have made, I think this is going to be a knockout quilt.
I'm very nearly up to date, although not entirely. But I did feel like I had earned the right to sew for myself a bit the next day. On Sunday, I finished all the pinwheel blocks that are the foundations for the kaleidoscope blocks on my current project. I'll show a photo taken previously, since it's been so long since I've posted about this project - you may have forgotten all about it!