Ogee/Curlicue Pattern Winners!

/ Saturday 23 April 2011 /
We have three winners for the Ogee/Curlicue pattern for the QAL kickoff!  Congratulations to Deb, Janet and two hippos!  I have sent your emails to Rebecca, the pattern designer, and she will let you know the process of downloading the pattern.



Even if you didn't win a copy of the pattern from me, I hope you'll still consider investing $10 (no shipping charges since it is a download from Rebecca's shop) and quilting along.  I thought I would close this post by showing you a photo of the photos I am going to be using.  I am making this quilt for a friend, who wants to give it to her daughter when she goes away to university in the fall.  She chose a bundle of Kona cotton solids in the Hot Spice colourway.  I took this photo inside so the colours look a bit wonky.  I'll try for a better shot soon.
DSC_0471
If you are thinking about using a bundle of precut fabric, here is an important tip:  Measure your fat quarters so you know how careful you have to be.  The layout in the pattern will give you a mere 1/2" of waste on the short side.  In other words, if the short side of your FQ is 18"precisely, as is the case with the Kona solids bundle, then I suggest you do not prewash your fabric, as it could conceivably shrink too much, if you also need to trim slightly to square up the fabric.  When I made my first one, I did not measure, I prewashed, and I cut too generously to true up the fabric before cutting the pieces.  I ended up having to be creative and patch with a different fabric.  I was used to ordering from a shop that cut FQs generously, and I just blithely sailed in thinking I would have loads.  Just a word to the wise!


5 comments:

{ Jennifer } on: 23 April 2011 at 11:22 said...

i can't wait to see this finished; i love the fabrics your friend has chosen.

{ Leila } on: 23 April 2011 at 12:25 said...

Oh, I am so tempted to join, but I haven't even finished Lynne's QAL yet. Tempted, tempted, tempted...

{ two hippos } on: 23 April 2011 at 16:34 said...

Thank you! I look forward to getting the pattern and finally figuring out how to piece curves :)

{ Leanne } on: 24 April 2011 at 09:03 said...

Those colours are wonderful, I look forward to seeing a solid version of this quilt. I am going to quilt along with you, will you set out a plan for your schedule?

{ Bree } on: 25 April 2011 at 20:36 said...

SQUEE! Got my pattern, can't wait to start! I had to read through it four times and then down a mountain dew to not be scared of the curves, but I'm super excited to learn :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger