Daylight Savings Time

/ Sunday 1 November 2009 /
Today is November 1.  The clocks went back last night, so we had an extra hour's sleep.  I so needed it; after admitting to myself that I had a full blown sinus cold, I took a night-time sinus tab and conked right out, next door to unconscious. I barely managed to stay awake long enough to hand out candy to the local spooks and ghouls!
Boo!
I feel like I've spent a lot of time at the sewing machine and cutting mat, but I have very little to show for myself.  Here's my best accomplishment: the blocks for my values quilt.  They trued up to be 4.5" blocks.  I don't know how I'm going to decide on a layout, not to mention actually choosing which blocks go where. I have pondered every inch of my house while trying to locate a space for a potential design wall, but I haven't come up with one yet.  My best option so far: pinning a piece of fleece or flannel to the shower curtain, but I can't get very far away from it to eyeball the blocks from a distance.  I'm still seeking other possibilities.  I feel like this is a quilt that needs a design wall; the dining room table won't do this time.
Blocks for values quiltalong
I also bought the light yardage for the Red and White Snowball Challenge swap.  This doesn't make for a very exciting photo, does it?  I'm happy to report that I've cut the fabrics needed for the swap.  I'm sending them to seven women all over the U.S., including Alaska!
Lights for Snowball Challenge Swap
I was on the fence for a long time about whether to actually make my snowball red and white or another colour.  I was leaning towards golds.  But when I was at the LQS picking up the lights, I saw some gorgeous red flannels on display.  Suddenly I had a craving for a red and white quilt, backed with some cozy red flannel and batted with wool.  I grabbed some red fats, shown below.  I planned to cut them this weekend, but it didn't happen.
Red and White Snowball Challenge fabrics
And here is my fabric for Cheryl's Rail Fence quiltalong.  Another thing I was supposed to cut this weekend.  Sigh.  Or should that be "sinus".  I always feel like I've lost 20 points off my IQ when I have a sinus cold.
Fabric choices for Cheryl's Rail Fence quiltalong

8 comments:

{ Lindsay } on: 1 November 2009 at 23:10 said...

What if you created some kind of frame for felt to be stretched over, so you could use it like a primary teacher telling a story on a felt board. (You know the type?)

{ Lesly } on: 2 November 2009 at 14:17 said...

Mmmm.... That would be one honking big frame - then where would I put it?

{ Melissa C } on: 2 November 2009 at 14:35 said...

I put my fabric in the mail today for the swap. Can't wait to see them all together.

Anonymous on: 2 November 2009 at 14:40 said...

What a beautiful pile! Takes a long time doesn't it? You'll have some time to catch up. I think we'll take a couple weeks on the back.

Hope you are on the up. I've been hating the sinus thing. Just can't sleep.

{ Barbara } on: 3 November 2009 at 14:58 said...

If you can't get far enough away from your design wall, get a peephole from the hardward store and use it to look at the design wall. That should give you the distance you need. Here are some examples at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=door+peephole

{ Allyson in Alaska } on: 3 November 2009 at 20:25 said...

Those are gorgeous lights! I love the one on the right side. When you said you were thinking of golds for your challenge quilt, did you mean golds where the lights are or golds in place of the reds? Cause that is a SPLENDID idea! Golds and lights. That would be stunning.

{ Lesly } on: 4 November 2009 at 07:03 said...

Barbara, I can't find an email for you, but I wanted to thank you for that great suggestion! I've never heard of that, but it sounds like a possible solution - thanks!

{ Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge } on: 5 November 2009 at 07:20 said...

I look forward to seeing the progress of your values quilt - I would love to make one of these too. I have a design floor, using a large camel colored piece of flannel on the floor. I sometimes tape the corner of the sheet to the floor to stop any movement. It works well when a wall is not an option.

Rita

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger