Modify Tradition Sampler Blocks

/ Sunday 15 November 2009 /

DSC_0001, originally uploaded by Shadrach Meshach & Abednego.
Yesterday I began to make blocks for the Modify Tradition sampler quiltalong. I am shockingly late to the party, but that seems to be a theme in my life! It's always odd to start a sampler because until you make a good number of the blocks they don't seem to hang together. In fact, here's a secret: I hate samplers.  So the challenge for me in this is less melding traditional and modern, and more actually making a sampler that I fancy a wee bit.  I like my fabric choices, so I'll just have faith they will all come together.  I especially love that big floral in the block above and how it opens up the space.
Sampler star
This star turned out to be much lower contrast than I expected.  If I have extra fabric at the end, I'll make another one with higher contrast between the points of the star.  And I completely ignored the fact that those eggs in the background fabric were actually directional and now look kind of odd.  But this block is nice - with a couple of borders it could be a nice pillow, if it doesn't end up in the sampler.
bow ties
The main blocks are 12.5 inches square.  Those are big blocks, especially when the block pattern is simple.  I've decided to use two sizes of blocks: 12.5 and 6.5 inches.  I like the look of quilts that have unequal block sizes.  The bow tie is one that I made small.  Here's another possibility of bow tie arrangements, if I decide to keep them all together in one block:
bow ties all around
But the benefit to having unequal block sizes is that you can also have rows of unequal sizes.  I like the idea of using the smaller blocks between the larger blocks, like this.  Also, I plan to use simple, unpieced setting blocks in the smaller size to open up the visual space in the quilt and make it less busy - but I'll need to wait to cut those until I get more blocks finished, in order to husband my fabric appropriately.
Large and small blocks
And somehow, I forgot to snap a photo of the nine-patch blocks alone.  Here's as close as I managed to get.  Setting them out like this shows me what fabrics should get featured in the subsequent blocks.  For example, whatever comes next should pull in that turquoise in the lower nine-patch.
For the Modify Tradition sampler
Well, I don't know if these are modern or traditional anymore.  I feel mind-boggled by that whole discussion.  What I do know is that by choosing to use large and small blocks together I think I can make a sampler that I'll like.  At any rate, it's going to be interesting to see it come together.  I think I'm caught up now; bring it on, Jennifer and Crystal!  In the meantime, I'll work on sewing together the blocks for the Values Quilt.

2 comments:

{ Lara } on: 15 November 2009 at 12:32 said...

Looking wonderful!! I'd love to have a crack at some of those blocks! I keep telling myself I've got to learn the HST since it's so darn versatile! This is going to be one gorgeous sampler quilt!

PS - Standby for pay it forward. I'm in the process of making it now! Wowser you might even get it in time for Christmas :)

Anonymous on: 19 November 2009 at 22:40 said...

Funny, I hate samplers too, but what a great way to improve your skills! I love that blue flower print, is it an Alexander Henry?

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger