Pink Glove Dance and Green Grumbles

/ Wednesday 25 November 2009 /
This is nothing to do with quilting, but I had to repost this video made by the employees of the St. Vincent Medical Center in Portland Oregon in support of breast cancer awareness, which I first saw on Carol's blog.  Ladies, don't neglect your annual physical and your mammogram, if consistent with your doctor's advice.


In other news, my friend and colleague, Clare, is visiting from the UK.  We have some work to do on a joint research project this week, but we also enjoy hanging out and eating good food and drinking good wine.  Clare and her partner, Nigel, are getting married in April.  I plan to make a quilt for them (she doesn't know about this blog, so I can speak frankly), but there's a small problem.  Clare is a (social) scientist, but she has one area of superstition: she doesn't wear green.  Ever.  Green is bad luck.  It's a superstition she inherited from her mum.  I gather that she broke out when she was a younger woman and wore green for awhile, but then had a string of unhappy events.  So green got the boot.  I'd love to make her a bright, cheery quilt, but with modern fabrics, and I have three layer cakes that would be perfect raw material.  But most fabric lines have at least some green, and these layer cakes all do.  My task this week is to suss out whether green is verboten only in clothes, or whether the ban extends to home decor items, like quilts, as well.  I shall put on my special spy outfit - wish me luck!

4 comments:

{ Dee } on: 25 November 2009 at 09:52 said...

Okay...the janitor at the end is so adorable...he needs to come visit my house right now! He's so cute!

Thanks for the fun and the cry (mum has terminal cancer and one of our soccer coach's girls has lymphoma). What a great video.

Have fun on the sleuthing!
Happy Thanksgiving!

{ Carol } on: 25 November 2009 at 10:59 said...

The janitor was one of my favorite parts as well.

You may just have to "create" your own color/pattern line for the quilt. Plenty out there that does not include green.

{ Lindsay } on: 25 November 2009 at 21:52 said...

Judging from what you heard tonight, green should be out entirely - just to be safe. You can do it! Just think of it as a challenge...!

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 26 November 2009 at 23:17 said...

Hilarious! I am sooooo familiar with that hospital! Both of my children were born there, my doctor had an office there until recently, and the pediatric treatment study group that I lead used to meet there on the last Monday of every month. I had no idea they had made a video :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger