New Year's Quilting Resolutions

/ Wednesday 30 December 2009 /
Here we are approaching the beginning of a new decade!  I remember so clearly standing in front of City Hall with my husband and six year old daughter on the last night of 1999, counting down and watching the fireworks.  Remember the Y2K scare?  May all our worries turn out to be so groundless!
I have thoroughly enjoyed getting back into quilting this year - in case you don't know, I resumed quilting in August after a hiatus of almost 15 years.  Here's a whirlwind tour of what I've finished in 2010.
Showing the backing.
"I'll Be Seeing You" - my late mother made the top and I quilted it on the anniversary of her passing.
Valley of the Dolls quilt
"Valley of the Dolls" - for my mother-in-law.
Blue Meanies
"Blue Meanies" - originally meant for my daughter.
Christmas quilt
"My Mother's Christmas Quilt" - she pieced the top and I quilted it for her husband.
Wine Gums
"Wine Gums" - my daughter wheedled for this one instead.
Red Hots
"Red Hots" - just sneaked under the 2009 wired with this one.
And now it's time to think about the coming year, and about setting some goals for myself, learning some new skills or polishing up rusty ones.  Nothing terribly ornate or arcane.  At least not this year!   In my experience, it's best to keep resolutions few in number and fairly open-ended, to maximize the possibility of success!  Therefore, I have three things on my New Year's Quilting Resolutions list for 2010, and they are:
#1:  Applique - I've never done this but it's time to learn!
New Year's Quilting Resolutions 2
#2:  Paper piecing - extremely rusty skill set that was never very good at any time
New Year's Quilting Resolution 1
#3: Charity
No photo for this one, but I would like to get involved in quilting for charity in some way.  If anyone has any good ideas on this score - particularly Canadian ideas - I'd love to hear about them.
What are your New Year's Quilting Resolutions?

12 comments:

{ Unknown } on: 30 December 2009 at 09:10 said...

Wow, what a great quilting year you had!1 I love Valley of the Dolls. The colors are fantastic! I see lots of Kaffe prints in there too. Yay!! Here is to wishing you meet all your quilting goals in 2010. As far as a charity idea, I put out a call for pillowcases for the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp in Sept. I know it is not quilting but, they need tons of pillowcases. I even have a free pattern on my sidebar, if you are interested.

{ Lee D } on: 30 December 2009 at 10:20 said...

Hi Just found your blog and love all of your quilts. check out my blog if you have a chance, I too just got back into quilting this year. I am so glad that I did. Quilts of Valour is a great charity making quilts for returning soldiers. Where in Ontario are you? I grew up in Collingwood, but are now in Calgary. happy new year!

{ Dee } on: 30 December 2009 at 10:40 said...

Still loving' the Meanies, but the Red Hots is a close second. There are some awesome tutorials online for paper piecing, appliqueing (sp?) and everything else.

Charities? I try to stay local...missions, crisis pregnancy centers, food banks, etc.

Can't wait to see what 2010 brings you!

{ Claudia } on: 30 December 2009 at 11:44 said...

Lesly, these are all great goals. My quilting resolution for last year was simply to devote more time to quilting and I have to say I was successful. I need to think more about my resolutions for '10 - good blog topic. Happy New Year!

{ Diana } on: 30 December 2009 at 12:16 said...

You have some beautiful quilts there! I hope you can meet your goals in 2010. As for charity work, you can check with your local quilt guild. They often have charity projects for local agencies.

{ chasing lightning bugs } on: 30 December 2009 at 12:36 said...

i am also searching for a way to contribute locally whether it's donating a quilt for auction or fabric to programs for kids to learn to quilt....i have tons of ideas but need to find a way to make them work. i've donated quilted items to different organizations but i'd love to find a way to give the opportunity to actually make something as well.....take away the obstacles and give that simple satisfaction.

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 30 December 2009 at 13:01 said...

Wow -- you accomplished so much since August. I came back to quilting after a many year layoff in around June, but I don't think I accomplished even half of what you have! And your quilts are just wonderful! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with in 2010.

joan

{ Lara } on: 30 December 2009 at 16:20 said...

What a line up! Impressive! If you want a great little scrap buster, contact your local hospital to see if they'd appreciate some little basinnette quilts for your local neo natal (premature) baby unit... Not sure what you call it there. We call our's the NICU. Anyway they're only about 26" square and I know they'll be much loved by the families in the unit.There is nothing better than seeing little little babies wrapped in handmade goodness.

{ Pokey } on: 30 December 2009 at 21:41 said...

Hats off to a great year of accomplishments! I love all of them,and found the finishes you did of your mom's work especially touching.
You'll do wonderful works in the year to come, look at your record!
Happy New Year to you, Lesly!

{ Emily } on: 31 December 2009 at 00:30 said...

LOVELY quilts. I love, love , love to quilt, but don't really get the chance because I don't have all the tools. :/
Glad to see you do it! :)

{ Tamera } on: 31 December 2009 at 08:01 said...

Sewing charity quilts can be as easy as sewing some quilts and then donating them to your local hospital or women's shelter, or homeless shelter, etc.

I have sent several to established charities (U.S. ones) like Quilts for Kits and Heartstrings, but this year, I'm going to "go local." Saves a LOT on postage.

{ beth } on: 31 December 2009 at 09:49 said...

wow! a whole lot of quilting going on over there!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger