My first wonky improv

/ Sunday 31 January 2010 /
This weekend my husband and daughter have been in Montreal, so I figured it would be a good time to finish up my January commitment to the Maple Leaf Bee. Quilting Barbie asked for a wonky log cabin and an improv block, to make a quilt for her toddler son's big-boy bed. She sent us some beautiful fabric in oranges, blues and aquas. I've been putting off making them because I've never done wonky or improv before. But as you see, it's the last day of the month, so Time Has Run Out.
Wonky log cabin for Maple Leaf Bee
Here's a better look at the blocks. First, wonky log cabin.  This worked out okay, I guess.  It was fun to do, but I'm not sure I'm a complete fan.  The jury is still out.
Improv block for Maple Leaf Bee
Now the improv.  It was stressful in a fun kind of way.  How does one know when it's finished?  I just kept adding to it, and I felt like any minute it would get up and take over the world - at least The Block that Ate Ontario. Honestly, I think it's a bit of a hegdish, and I'm not sure I like it.  I hope Barb isn't too particular!  And of course it wouldn't be quilting if there weren't some boo-boos.  For example, the goldfish in the upper right section of the block are swimming upside down.  This is a life lesson that all children need to learn, but I'm not sure Barb wanted me to piece it into her son's quilt!  And I added some fabric from my stash, but I forgot that it was for a boy's bed, and there is a honking big chunk of lacy aqua paisley there, plus a strip of Amy Butler chrysanthemums at the bottom left (there's some in the log cabin, too).  I hope it isn't too girlish for Barb's taste - when I went back to look at the Flickr photos of the other blocks, none of the fabrics seemed to feature flowers or other feminine motifs - I'm hoping that it will all blend into the big picture.
On another note, I gave my friend her quilt last night.  She was very surprised and touched.  She cried, I cried, and her teenage daughter poked gentle fun at us.  My friend has put an offer in on a house across town and is in a fair way to making a new start.  Thank you all for your kind words.

17 comments:

{ Pokey } on: 31 January 2010 at 15:28 said...

So hard to see friends go. I've had to do that several times. But you sent a sweet hug with her!

I like the wonky stuff, I turn one out every once in awhile. Your look fun, and, yes I see the fresh snow...sorry! :-}pokey

{ Barb } on: 31 January 2010 at 15:40 said...

Oh, I love them! And they will look wonderful with the other blocks. And my son does have a big sister so he won't mind flowers or lacey paisley! Thank you so much.

{ Cheryl Arkison } on: 31 January 2010 at 16:15 said...

Good for you for taking on the challenge. I think the blocks look great. The wonky/improv stuff looks out of place on its own, but together they have strong impact. It will look great!

{ Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts } on: 31 January 2010 at 16:58 said...

The blocks look great. The improv block doesn't look too feminine at all. LOL about the goldfish, what better way to learn that life lesson than in a quilt.

{ Lee D } on: 31 January 2010 at 18:41 said...

I think the blocks look great. I bet once all the blocks are together you won't notice a bit of floral or paisley amongst the rest.

Anonymous on: 31 January 2010 at 21:27 said...

That fish fabric is so cool!

{ Thelma } on: 31 January 2010 at 22:20 said...

I'm such a perfectionist I don't think I could do a wonky log cabin and the improv blog, I know it would drive me crazy. I like what you did, I think you're over thinking the improv block. I'm sure it will fit in great with all the other blocks.

I just love it when I have the house to myself but am also so happy when everyone comes back home.

{ beth } on: 31 January 2010 at 23:22 said...

Isn't it amazing that quilts will bring people to tears? I think it's the best gift to give!!
By the way...your blocks look great!

{ Lara } on: 1 February 2010 at 01:26 said...

Awesome blocks!!!!

{ Em } on: 1 February 2010 at 09:03 said...

I love it, and it is hard to believe this is your first wonky piece, YOU ARE A NATURAL! Love how the focus animal in center. What a nice friend you are. Come by and see my wonky sometime!

{ piecelove } on: 1 February 2010 at 09:39 said...

I just love the color. It's all about the color, you know. Even the photo--against the winter backdrop--poetic.

{ Rene' } on: 1 February 2010 at 12:45 said...

Hey Lesly, thought I had already commented, but don't see it here. I love the way your improv blocks turned out. They look great. So glad your friend like her quilt.

{ Diane } on: 1 February 2010 at 14:42 said...

Those blocks look great!

{ Aunt Spicy } on: 1 February 2010 at 18:44 said...

stop it, stop it, stop it!!!!! I can not even handle how great those squares are, I just adore them, they are fabulous!

Diane on: 2 February 2010 at 20:46 said...

The improv block is perfect! I am sure it will be well received. Try not to second-guess yourself, advice given but not asked for. But really, your work turned out very nicely.

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 3 February 2010 at 00:30 said...

I love your wonky improv blocks! And recently I was thinking about how as I'm making a quilt I'm so aware of "up/down" "top/bottom." BUT, unless it's a wall hanging, while in use, no one ever worries about top vs. bottom, back vs. front in a quilt. =)

Anonymous on: 9 February 2010 at 19:27 said...

LOVE these- the colors are awesome and the prints are supercute! I think those would look awesome framed!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger