What's doing?

/ Tuesday 19 January 2010 /
My mother used to say that she couldn't crochet anything but a rug - by which I think she meant she had never learned to do anything but hook in the round and around and around. I think that's why I never felt compelled to pick up the single needle: clearly, crochet talent did not run in my family! But now I am trying to learn to crochet, teaching myself via the video tutorials by the amazing Pip Lincolne at Meet Me at Mike's. This photo shows a few rows of single crochet, but Pip's tutorials are for a granny square. Mine are so feeble and frail that they look more like great-granny squares! The tutorials have only taken us to the second round, so when I get one completed, I'll share it, warts and all, on the blog. You have been warned, so that you may Avert Your Eyes.

Also, I have assembled the quilt sandwich for this Jacob's Ladder that I am making for a dear friend  who is divorcing and needs something for comfort during this difficult time.
Getting ready to quilt Jacob's Ladder
Actually, the top is one that I made nearly ten years ago, but was never really enthused about.  In the summer, when I dug it out of the basement and had it airing out on the line, my friend saw it and mentioned how much she loved it.  I knew that if I couldn't give it to someone who appreciated it, it would never get finished.  Here you can see the backing - it's from Sandi Henderson's Farmers' Market line.
Jacob's ladder in progress
Plus, I have fabric for another bee block, this one for Barb, which I haven't yet touched, not to mention being behind on replying to the comments that people so kindly left about my foundation piecing attempts.  Time to get moving!

5 comments:

{ ktquilts } on: 19 January 2010 at 09:35 said...

You are doing fine with the crochet! My first attempts were so tight that I couldn't get the hook in the second row!! Love that mug in your picture too!! Great gift for your friend.
Blessings,
KT

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 19 January 2010 at 09:41 said...

That is so great that you found someone to love a quilt that you might not have finished. Maybe I should take out my old UFOs and show them around. Maybe someone would actually inspire me to finish one or two. And I am thinking about learning to crochet this year, too :)

joan

{ Dee } on: 19 January 2010 at 09:45 said...

I love the yarn you've picked out! It's so sweet and Valentinish! I've actually picked crocheting back up after a 25+ yead period of not doing any! I'm doing a scarf. LOL It will be done around spring. :o)

The quilt for the friend is generous and beautiful and you are so thoughtful!

{ Thelma } on: 19 January 2010 at 12:26 said...

How funny, I can ONLY crochet...no knitting for me, I'm only good with one needle at a time!

Jacobs Ladder, that's on my quilt list, lovely fabrics and sure to be a pick me up for your friend.

Congratulations for quilting your own tops!! Another thing I won't try.

I ALWAYS love your pictures, you inspire me to do better with mine.

{ Tamera } on: 20 January 2010 at 04:46 said...

What a beautiful quilt. I'm sure it will comfort your friend in such a difficult time. What a great friend you are to her!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger