The Naked Bed Challenge

/ Saturday 28 May 2011 /
DSCN4195
I have something new to show, friends - my entry in the Naked Bed Challenge hosted by Sarah Fielke.  The idea is that you have to make a new quilt for your own bed by June 2 (thank goodness the top is sufficient - there's no way I could get this quilted by then!)  I decided to make this one here.
DSCN4200
This quilt is from the book by Sharon Sebrow, Kaleidoscope: The Smart Way.  I used the SmartPlate ruler, which I have blogged about previously (here is a tutorial on how to use it, and here is the post where I showed the first quilt I made with it).  The quilt is a combination of a churn dash block and a kaleidoscope block - very simple, but way more than the sum of its parts!  The fabric is Greenfield Hill by Denyse Schmidt, in the red and blue colourways.  This was not a popular line, but I really like it.  I knew I wanted to make something out of it, and I only love this line more now that I have.
DSCN4198
The only thing that is kind of wonky about this quilt is the way that the blades of the kaleidoscope blocks are kind of off-kilter where they meet their match in the blocks with the churn dash.  This is due to the way the ruler is used to make the kaleido blocks from pinwheels.  It doesn't make me crazy, although they do look a bit drunk, the way some of the prints look tilted.  Look at the first one one the left, top row - see how the checkers are oriented one way in the churn dash block but just rotated a bit in the blades of the kaleido block?  Also, you can see in the photo below where I screwed up by switching pieces on two of the blocks - they are both dark blue so it isn't too obvious (the two blocks on the far right, 2nd and 3rd rows).  I didn't see it until it was too late to fix it without a major overhaul.
Entry for the Naked Bed Challenge
And here's how it will ultimately end up - naked no more!
No longer naked

Edited to add:  Winner!  Ding ding ding!

19 comments:

{ beth } on: 28 May 2011 at 19:31 said...

I love the pattern for this quilt AND the fabric. Great choice!

{ elle } on: 28 May 2011 at 19:52 said...

It is a wee bit off but what a great top for a naked bed!!!

{ MB in MI } on: 28 May 2011 at 21:09 said...

i agree with beth. the fabric looks great in your quilt.

{ shannon } on: 28 May 2011 at 21:27 said...

*drool* pprrreetttyyyy!!

it's beatuiful lesly! i stare it it and i go into a quilt coma :)

thanks for stharing!

{ Leanne } on: 28 May 2011 at 22:32 said...

I love it, congratulations on getting the top done! I also really like that fabric and it looks great in your quilt!

{ Jennifer } on: 29 May 2011 at 01:56 said...

excellent!

{ Manda } on: 29 May 2011 at 02:26 said...

Looks fantastic, naked bed no more!

{ Judith, Belfast } on: 29 May 2011 at 11:41 said...

This is gorgeous and I love the fabrics you used - so fresh! Hope the quilting goes well and you get finished in time! Jxo

{ Cindy } on: 29 May 2011 at 15:07 said...

Beautiful quilt! I love tops that have the illusion of circles when no curves were pieced. Looking forward to seeing pics once its quilted.

{ Cascade Quilts } on: 31 May 2011 at 15:05 said...

love this quilt so much I just had to go search and buy the book! Now to find the ruler too......

{ Dara } on: 31 May 2011 at 23:55 said...

I agree that this is my least fav Denyse Schmidt line, you did a great job though. I am impressed with how it came out- Dara

{ junglemama } on: 1 June 2011 at 00:32 said...

Lovely quilt!

{ Canadian Abroad } on: 1 June 2011 at 07:30 said...

I can't see anything 'off' about it at all and think it just looks full on gorgeous. Great job!

{ Ruth } on: 1 June 2011 at 09:43 said...

This is gorgeous!!!

{ catherine } on: 1 June 2011 at 10:43 said...

This looks fantastic-well done. I really love the pattern and the fabric

{ Cathy } on: 1 June 2011 at 21:22 said...

Lovely quilt! great fabric choices!

{ Sujata Shah } on: 3 June 2011 at 21:55 said...

Hi Lesly,

Your quilts are stunning! This one in particular has great colors and textures. Loved the red hot one too. Simply gorgeous!

{ Sylbie } on: 9 June 2011 at 05:42 said...

Great, I like it and the colors you used ! hugs

{ free indeed } on: 9 June 2011 at 08:45 said...

That is a lovely quilt! And kuddos to you for covering your own bed...I've been quilting for years and haven't yet made a quilt for my bed! I tend to make more lap size...I do have a few jelly rolls bought that I want use for me...one step at a time!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger