Practicing

/ Monday 8 August 2011 /
My daughter just got a new laptop to take to university.  It's a very pretty MacBook Pro, with an elegant brushed metal case.  In the effort to keep it nice and pristine, she asked me to make her a sleeve for it, so that she could carry it in her backpack without it getting scratched up.  I was thrilled to be asked, although I wasn't exactly sure how to go about it.  She said she didn't want velcro, so that meant a zipper.  Even though I've made all these little pouches, I quailed at the thought.  I went online and read many tutorials.  Eventually I picked this one to try.  And here's what I came up with.
Test laptop sleeve
It has a heavy cotton home dec outer layer, and two layers of wool batting for extra puff, although I only did minimal quilting on it since it's just a tester.  I lined it with flannel.
Test laptop sleeve
When I went to source a zipper for it, I saw three grades of zippers - from the most delicate for use in apparel to some with really heavy duty teeth.  I chose one in the middle.  The zipper goes around both sides on the top of the sleeve so that it opens wide enough to easily slip the laptop inside.
Test laptop sleeve
Now that I know how to do it, I'll make her the one she wants - she's laid dibs on some of my Outside Oslo home dec fabric.  It's very nice to be asked to make things for my oh-so-discriminating daughter!

4 comments:

{ Jennifer } on: 8 August 2011 at 19:41 said...

oooh, good job! i would have told her to buy one. :(

{ Unknown } on: 8 August 2011 at 19:54 said...

She has good taste....I wouldn't mind a laptop case in Outside Oslo. Love that line. Can't wait to see it done. :)

{ Sarah Craig } on: 8 August 2011 at 20:14 said...

It's beautiful, Lesly! You did a great job. I made a sleeve for mine, but it's just literally a sleeve - like a pillowcase - with a hook and button closure on the end. But it serves the purpose - protecting the computer while I travel. I'm impressed with your zipper!!

{ Ariane } on: 8 August 2011 at 21:30 said...

This one looks great!! Can't wait to see the real one!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger