Packing for a Trip Around the World

/ Friday 5 August 2011 /
Normally I am not an impulsive quilter.  Although, like most of you, probably, I have a constant, endless stream of "one day I will make x" going through my head, I generally invest a lot of mulling into the decision of what project to start next.  But last night, I took a wild hair to make a Trip Around the World quilt  I felt the need to make something with only straight seams and a riot of colour - to recover from the recent ogee quilt in solids I just completed the top for.  So I went and searched among my 1/2 yard cuts and pulled these:
TATW 1: Fabric pull
The TATW is a very common quilt (see here for some great images).  I knew that Bonnie Hunter's tutorial uses the strip piecing method that is also used in making bargello quilts.  Back in the days before motherhood, I made a couple of pieces using that method and I remember it goes pretty fast.  So I decided to use Bonnie's tutorial - it's very well laid out and I recommend it if you want to make a TATW yourself.  I took some photos of some of the steps.  You start by cutting strips from your chosen fabrics and sewing them into strata.  You have to make four strata exactly alike.
TATW 2: Sew strips into strata
Then you sew the long sides of each strata together to make a tube of sorts.  It's actually kind of hard to take a good photo of the tube; here is my husband doing his best, bless his heart.
TATW 3: Sew strata into tubes
Then you slice the strata into sections so that you have eight loops.
TATW 4: Cut slices from tube to make loops
Next, you unpick one line of stitches from the first loop to make a strip again.  From the second loop, you unpick the line of stitches that will allow you to make a step-down of the squares.  For example, in the photo below, the first loop I used appears on the left hand side, with the orange square on top of the resulting strip.  When I unpicked the second loop, I made sure to unpick the stitches that would allow the orange square to become the second square from the top (and I unpicked the third strip to allow the orange square to be the third square from the top, etc.).  Does that make sense?  When all eight loops are unpicked and the strips are lined up nicely, sew them together to make a panel like the one below.  That's one panel out of four.  The one in the photo below will be the top right quadrant of the quilt.
TATW 5: Unpick loops to make strips and resew
This was seriously fast.  I did all the cutting, strata sewing, as well as the cutting, unpicking and piecing for the one panel above last night after dinner.  The only drawback is that I am not 100% sold on the fabric I pulled - while I was going for a relatively low-contrast look, I am afraid it is too low and the colours look too jumbled.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that it comes together once all the panels are pieced and assembled.  With luck that will be this weekend!
P.S. As it happens, I also read this post on TATW this morning!  TATW love is in the air!

8 comments:

{ Sarah Craig } on: 5 August 2011 at 11:41 said...

I like your color choices, Lesly, and you did a great job explaining how the technique works! I made one of these recently and I love it!

{ Judith, Belfast } on: 5 August 2011 at 13:36 said...

Gorgeous & clever! Loving those warm colours. Jxo

{ Jennifer } on: 5 August 2011 at 14:21 said...

it looks good, i don't think you need to worry.

i wonder... is this faster than the way i did it last? i sewed six sets of strips, each time moving the top strip down to the bottom for the next block. then i trimmed those and took one from each set to make a block. that was fast, and it gave the the same look..

{ quiltzyx } on: 5 August 2011 at 15:04 said...

Looking forward to seeing all four panels together. I just L.O.V.E. the polka dot fabric!!

{ Kirsty } on: 5 August 2011 at 15:23 said...

I think its gorgeous. Loving that color & print combo. It has a spontaneity & freshness about it, a sense of not being over-thought, that makes it vibrant and happy. Well done!

{ liz } on: 5 August 2011 at 20:48 said...

I love your version! Not usually a pattern I'm drawn to...

{ elle } on: 6 August 2011 at 09:11 said...

ah, I thought you were off on a trip! Well, I guess you are. I'm into 30's thinking right now and so... I might need to consider a TATW although I have mostly FQ's.

{ Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) } on: 7 August 2011 at 11:26 said...

It is a great pattern, and it is going to be a great quilt - I really like your fabric choices.

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger