Why Quilts Matter: History, Art and Politics

/ Tuesday 9 August 2011 /
Did you know there are 21,300,000 quilters in America?

I learned this from watching the trailer for a nine-part documentary on quilts and quilting that is showing on PBS this fall, called Why Quilts Matter: History, Art and Politics.


The producer of the film says You can’t run out of ways that quilts reveal American history, and this documentary will show some of those ways.

I was very moved by a quote from this trailer - it certainly resonates with me:  We as human beings have a lifelong love affair with cloth – this is what we’re swathed in from birth – it’s the last thing we feel when we pass away.  We cannot get away from the fabric – we can’t get away from the cloth.

I certainly hope my local PBS shows this series!  Watch the trailer below - I'm sure you'll be wanting to see the whole thing, too!

"Why Quilts Matter: History, Art & Politics" - Independent Production from The Kentucky Quilt Project, Inc. from The Kentucky Quilt Project, Inc. on Vimeo.

4 comments:

{ The Calico Cat } on: 9 August 2011 at 11:46 said...

I asked my husband to buy it...

{ Jennifer } on: 9 August 2011 at 12:52 said...

That sounds fascinating! And very true too...

Jennifer :)

{ Sew Create It - Jane } on: 11 August 2011 at 04:11 said...

I would love to see this...I wonder if it will ever be shown in the UK.

{ Rene' } on: 12 August 2011 at 10:34 said...

I saw this referenced on my Liberated Yahoo group. I haven't had a chance to watch the trailer yet (even though I've posted about it too...funny), but have it pinned on Pinterest for when I have a few free minutes. I checked my PBS schedule but didn't see it listed....think I might have to break down and buy the DVD.

Just scrolled through some of your previous posts...you've been busy! Love that TATW quilt! Happy birthday to your daughter and good luck on the saying goodbye ;-) I am sure she will love her new laptop sleeve.

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger