Rainy Day

/ Saturday 8 May 2010 /

Rainy day dog, originally uploaded by Shadrach Meshach & Abednego.
What a rainy few days we have been having! The garden needs it, but one wants a warm, sunny weekend for Mother's Day! I saw this little dog outside a bookstore in Coventry, UK last year. Doesn't he look dapper in his sou'wester?
Today was the first day I could get to my sewing machine since I returned from my round of conferences. I am rapidly amassing a pile of WIPs, not to mention my bees, some of which I am shockingly behind on. (I am having a mental block concerning Sharon's gnome homes; I just can't figure out what to make for her!) I decided to work on the neutral blocks, since I see that as the quickest finish. And I would like to have something new to enter in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival put on by Amy's Creative Side. I believe that is the 21st of this month, so I'll have a deadline to work towards. I think it's doable - after today I only have two blocks to make, plus the sashing, and quilting, of course!
Here's a question for you. What do you think of the term "sewist"? I have to admit it makes me feel like I have fleas. It's true I am a bit reactionary when it comes to words. Naturally, I don't mind new words for new concepts or things, but I do object when perfectly good words are discarded for lesser choices. I do understand that "sewer" can have two meanings, only one of which is nice, but context solves a multitude of problems. For example, the word bass, which rhymes with your rear end, is never confused with bass, which rhymes with face, when you are talking about going fishing. Am I right? I came across this article from January, and I thought, right on. What about you? Are you a sewist, a sewer, a stitcher or a seamstress? (Saying "I'm a quilter" is too easy!)

5 comments:

{ Metanoia } on: 9 May 2010 at 01:55 said...

The word "sewist" reeks of yet another American perversion of the English language. Why they can't use the language properly in the first place is beyond me.

Political correctness be damned, we're all "sewers". Context is king.

What's next? Adding both of them and calling a person who sews a "sewister"?

{ Thelma } on: 9 May 2010 at 09:13 said...

This is the first time I've run across the "word" sewist.... You come up with the most interesting things to ponder!!

{ The Calico Cat } on: 10 May 2010 at 08:18 said...

I'll claim stitcher.
Though quilter is more correct since I rarely sew anything other than quilts. (I don't make bags/pillows/pot-holders/napkins/clothes/etc. & I haven't thought about cross stitching since I learned to quilt. I am horrible at any other kind of embroidery...)

{ Allyson } on: 11 May 2010 at 00:59 said...

Love that little dog in the slicker! All he needs now are some snappy little galoshes!

{ Sarah Craig } on: 16 May 2010 at 08:27 said...

Looking at the word now (I've seen it a lot but never thought about it) I think the intent was to create a word like "artist" - one who creates art. We are "sewists" - people who create art with our sewing! I know we Americans tend to make up our own words, but in retrospect, I kind of like this one! Sorry, Metanoia!!

And my husband - he just calls me "obsessed"!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger