Uh-oh

/ Monday 31 May 2010 /
gallardia
A new gadget to take up all my time has been discovered. Do you like this photo of the gallardia from our garden? Want to make a quilt of it? No problem!
gallardia pattern
Karyn at Make Something posted about the Patchwork Pattern Maker that's available online as part of the Quilt Exhibit at the Victoria & Albert Museum. It's wickedly addictive.  You can look through the gallery to see the types of images that people have used to generate patterns - really interesting! You just upload a photo 2MB or smaller and it spits out a pixillated grid of squares and triangles. It shows you the number of colours to get and provides a placement grid, like counted cross-stitch, but for patchwork. You can choose three levels of complexity - more complexity gives you more colours (up to 20) and more patchwork pieces. The ones here are on the highest level. (Click through to Flickr and see them in a larger size.)
tall lupins
There are options for square, landscape or portrait orientation. These lupins are in the portrait orientation.
tall lupins pattern
I wondered what this snap of a mass of blooms would look like.
DSCN0492
It's a bit harder to view the flowers than the single blooms in the other patterns, but I like the abstract quality that it gives - the flowers are more suggested than represented.
PatchworkPattern
I think it might be fun to make one of these in 1" squares - it wouldn't be very big, around 30 - 36" or so. Imagine, you could make one of your home or cottage, or even your dog or another loved one! Mine are all flowers so far, but the possibilities are endless! What do you think? Would you make a quilt like this? Go and make some patterns and show me! Maybe we can do a quiltalong!


10 comments:

{ Jennifer } on: 31 May 2010 at 20:00 said...

The obvious application for this program is to draft a quilt of President Obama's face. Perhaps a border that includes the faces of Michelle, Sasha, and Malia. And the dog.

{ Claudia } on: 31 May 2010 at 21:17 said...

Cool! I don't know about Obama's face but then I am on my 2nd glass of wine. This could be a lot of fun.

Anonymous on: 31 May 2010 at 21:23 said...

This is so awesome! I am having so much fun with it. :)

I thought of Obama, too, Jennifer!

{ Marianne Penner } on: 31 May 2010 at 22:14 said...

I can't even go there, I can't afford anymore computer time, or my house won't get cleaned up!

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 31 May 2010 at 23:59 said...

Uh-oh is right! Like we quilters need another addiction :)

{ Kris } on: 1 June 2010 at 06:57 said...

What a cool site! Thanks for sharing!

{ elle } on: 1 June 2010 at 08:14 said...

oh, yes. now is an't this so very cool. I think I like it very much!

{ alobsiger } on: 1 June 2010 at 08:33 said...

You pegged it -- uh-oh is right on the money.... I'm doomed... ;-) This looks like FUN!

{ Dee } on: 1 June 2010 at 08:35 said...

Like I needed another quilt I just HAVE to do because it's over the top awesome! LOL

What beautiful pictures and thanks for the new idea buzzing around in my head!

{ My Life In Stitch } on: 1 June 2010 at 17:41 said...

This really looks like fun. I didn't even know about this exhibition and I'm the one in the UK!!!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger